JOB TITLE: Part-time Recovery Technician (PTRT)
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Part-time or as needed
EDUCATION: Although not required, a Bachelor's degree is recommended.
EXPERIENCE: While no specific experience is required, previous medical experience is viewed favorably. This position is learned through extensive training.
SUMMARY STATEMENT: The Part-time Recovery Technician (PTRT) is responsible for the procurement of eye tissue for the purpose of transplant and research from eye donors in the Denver metropolitan area. Pay is on a per case basis. Technical Trainer and/or Recovery Technician Supervisor (RTS), or other designee, provides training and on-going education. The RMLEB Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) will be adhered to at all times unless adequate approval for variance has been granted. PTRT's are responsible for routinely reviewing all required or designated training material and attending training related events, including but not limited to, annual excision and SOP review. Passing scores for quizzes or other testing methods may be required. Minimum case numbers may be designated in order to maintain minimum skills proficiency. The PTRT must be able to move and manipulate donor bodies to screen for infectious disease, and must be dependable and professional in appearance and actions.
ASSIGNED RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
· Respond to each call promptly with acceptance or decline
· Driving to and from recovery locations, hospitals, or other facilities is required. Long distances from time to time may be needed / required
· Obtain and verify proper consent paperwork
· Perform a thorough medical record review and fill out RMLEB paperwork accordingly
· Photocopy or obtain electronic copy of required information from the donor's medical record
· Perform a thorough physical inspection and ocular penlight exam
· Perform a post-mortem blood draw and obtain all available lab (premortem) specimens
· Prepare the donor and recovery site for aseptic procedures
· Perform an aseptic surgical scrub
· Utilizing the principles of aseptic/sterile technique, recover ocular tissue (corneas or whole
eyes) for both transplant and research needs
· Perform basic restoration for mortuary/family viewing
· Collect vitreous and provide documentation to medical examiners/coroners
· Arrange for transportation of tissue back to RMLEB
· Attend technician meetings or training events as scheduled
· Maintain RMLEB property (surgical instruments and recovery supplies), including verification of recovery product expiration dates
· Represent RMLEB professionally to hospitals, coroners, mortuaries, other recovery agencies and to the public
MISCELLANEOUS POSITION REQUIREMENTS: This job requires driving to perform position duties. As such, a valid driver's license, current insurance and access to a personal vehicle are required. Continuing education, training materials, and feedback will be given in order to assess performance. Access to the Internet and a valid email account are required.
SUPERVISOR: Recovery Technician Supervisor
Deadline to apply is July 29. Applicants must send a cover letter and resume using the online application system above.